Wednesday 28 July 2010

This month Charlotte doesn't hate....


I decided whilst in the bath - sometime before my daughter dropped her chocolate milkshake in it, but after she added a number of decapitated Barbies to 'keep me company' - that I am too miserable. Or rather, I decided that you might think me too miserable and that I should probably balance things out a bit.

Therefore (thought I, whilst batting floating Barbie heads out of the way) I am going to start a monthly 'Things Charlotte Likes'. Then, after the milkshake incident, I decided that might be a bit ambitious, so I'm going with 'This Month Charlotte Doesn't Hate'. After all, the only things I truly like are country hotels that don't allow children, Valium and Stolichnoya.

There is also a chance (she hopes) that this monthly love-in will remind those nice PR people out there, that like my blogging buddies English Mum and Jane Alexander, I too am open to receiving Free Stuff. Perhaps it is my acerbic tone that has put you off sending me Free Stuff? Perhaps you feel that I don't have enough followers for Free Stuff? I can assure you that I actually have thousands of dedicated and loving readers hanging off my every word - it's just that the ones you see here are the only ones who could be bothered who had the time to hit 'follow'.

Please do feel free to get in touch should you want - for instance - my children to test your new yogurt flavours. Or perhaps would like me to trial your new Stop-Your-Husband-Snoring-Before-You-Kill-Him product? You might like me to give my thoughts on the new Range Rover.(Ahem.)Don't be shy.

Alright - on with this month's Things Charlotte Doesn't Hate.

1. The BBC's subtle, tender yet laugh out loud funny 'Rev'. This is the comfort food of TV viewing. I have fallen head over heels in love with Adam, the pocket sized and pint drinking man of the cloth, who talks to God whilst sitting on the loo or washing up and is struggling - just like the rest of us - to be a good man and figure out his place on this earth. His relationship with his solicitor wife is delicious - real, (if rather adoring - so perhaps not that perfect) and the assorted minor characters, including the violently (literally) loyal parishioner and the wide eyed crack addict who turns up each episode asking for money, are well rounded and believable.

I feel quietly comforted by the end of each episode.

2. Rimmel's SunShimmer fake tan. It's cheap (always a plus) and it has warmed up my previously glow-in-the-dark pallor. If I could just remember to wash my hands after using it, I might look almost presentable.

3. Finally, and I'm throwing caution to the wind and saying that I LOVE this - my editor Genevieve Graham-Sawchyn's news that she has signed a two book deal with an imprint of Penguin for her brilliant novel 'Under the Same Sky' plus a future companion book. Hopefully I will get to say that the lady who patiently trawled through my gerunds and pleonasms (yeah, I had to look it up too) is famous. Go Genevieve.

See. I can do upbeat. Just don't expect it too often.

6 comments:

  1. After much shenanigans, I am following you! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh Charlotte! Thank you!
    Not only did you mention me, but you did it when you were happy! Double bonus. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Charlotte, glad I caught you on a "not QUITE" as stressed/P*ed-off day! Your blog is hilarious. FREE STUFF??? and you started it about the same time as I started mine....and you've got LOADS more followers. Therefor I am jealous, and hate you. But I WILL also follow you, so that I'm "in" with what is obviously the "in" crowd (also so that I can glare at you from the corner now and again, hope that okay).Dammit.[exits muttering..."now i've got to do the mental gyrations that is Google Follow]. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, following you through Bloggy Moms, would love a follow back :) http://www.mommamaven.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too funny! I'm following you from Bloggy Moms! Hope you can stop by and follow back :)

    http://thekingscourt4.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. So you have a book coming out! How exciting! Is it your first book?

    ReplyDelete